Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Action vs. InAction

One of my favorite things to do when I'm bored is people watch. I'm rather good at it - probably too good, I've realized. A few days ago I watched a little baby draped over his mother's shoulder who was about to spit up. My first thought was that someone needed to let the mom know that her baby was about to mess up her blouse and to try and quickly get a rag over her shoulder. However, that thought was quickly disrupted by another lady who quickly stuck out her hand and caught the mess before the mom even knew what was happening.

I was struck by how attentive and caring this lady must be to automatically act and help a stranger. I also felt sheepish for how I worried about helping someone instead of just helping.

Instead of hesitating, wondering if I will offend someone or following cultural expectations, I can do better at just helping when help is needed. Instead of worrying about how someone is going to do after the death of their loved one, I can be there for them now and continue to be there for them later. Instead of worrying about how a patient will react if I ask them how they are taking their own dying process, I can sincerely ask.

I'm glad I was people watching and able to observe a small act, but I hope next time, I will be the one who is actively helping people instead of the one watching.

No comments: